aid: As a parent I couldnt think of anything worse than not kissing my baby before but I can now. This was one thousand times worse. I smother my kids in kisses, even my friends and relative kids. Im actually called Aunty Kissy for that reason. I will cuddle until my hearts content but never will I kiss another newborn than doesnt belong to me and never will I kiss any of my new babies, if I have any more, on or around their mouths again. Nine-day-old child Gunner was rushed to AE with a high temperature and rapid breathing (Image: MERCURY PRESS) Read MoreRelated ArticlesLittle boy, 5, eats for first time after miracle operation moves stomach into his chest The worry and pain we felt that day was beyond words and wasnt worth a thousand kisses. I know first hand. My whole world came crashing down. I thought, I cant lose my baby. I ju
st kept thinking, what if he loses a limb or has brain damage? What are we going to tell Graicae? [correct spelling, daughter, two] How are we ever going to get through this? Its hard to explain how I felt. It was a bit of a blur. Its all the things you dont bear thinking about and when it happened you cant process it. It still doesnt feel real. It feels like it was a bit of a dream. I just hoped he would be alright. It all happened so quickly. We couldnt understand how such a young baby got meningitis. You beat yourself up. We thought it might have been something we had done. It couldve been a hell of a lot worse. Its just one of those things we have to be grateful for. We are really lucky. Just an innocent kiss. Nothing more than a form of affection from someone who would love him and want no harm to ever come to him. Something so natural to do with a precious baby. We wouldnt blame anyone. It could have been us. Never would I have thought a kiss would hurt someone. My h
eartfelt advice to anyone is dont kiss a newborn baby and dont let anyone kiss your baby. They may feel well, look well and have no signs or symptoms of anything going on, but those tiny dormant viruses could be fatal. Read MoreRelated ArticlesMum finds little superhero dead in her cot after going to see why twin sister was shouting John first saw that something was wrong when he got up at 4am on May 29 to feed Gunner and noticed he was warm but assumed it was due to the hot weather and took the blanket off him. The next morning, Gunner was still quite warm and his temperature had reached 38.9. The parents took his vest off and he started crying when they touched him. His breathing then became very fast and the couple knew something wasnt right and called a midwife, who told them to go to AE immediately. Krystal said: They say you get a mothers instinct and I think thats what made me think we needed to take his temperature. They brought him straight into childrens department in AE they put him on a monitor and took his temperature and then he just started to deteriorate rapidly. I knew he was poorly but I didnt realise how serious it was. Things happened so quickly. When they arrived at Bassetlaw District General Hospital Gunners heart rate was between 200- 222bpm at its peak and he quickly went into resuscitation. He then started convulsions, seizures that happen because of a fever, due to his temperature and he was barely responsive. Blood and urine tests were taken along with an X-ray which all came back as clear, IV antibiotics were given along with paracetamol and ibuprofen to try and reduce his temperature. After Gunner was stabilised he was taken to the childrens ward before being taken away by the doctors to perform a lumbar puncture in the lower part of his spine to test for infections such as meningitis. The couple are determined to raise awareness to prevent similar diagnoses (Image: MERCURY PRESS) Krystal said: We could hear him from the room crying. Everything runs through your mind at that moment. I just sat and cried. The reality hit that it was serious. It was awful. I dont think Ive ever been so scared. I read abo
ut it all the time but I dont think the reality of it ever really hits close to home until it happens to you or someone you know. An ambulance then took the family to Doncaster Royal Infirmary where it was confirmed that he had viral meningitis and continued his antibiotics and added some anti-viral drugs to his IV prescription. Gunner hadnt shown any of the more recognisable symptoms of meningitis, such as change in appetite, being sensitive light, stiff neck or cold hands and feet and only developed red spots later on. Krystal said: It cou
ld have been transferred by someone who was ill. They said viruses can live in you without being known so you might not have any symptoms but it could be transferred by a kiss. I dont think you realise as a parent that something so simple can be so dangerous. It is just one of those things. It could have been anything. There are certain things you cant protect him from. Such as, walking past someone who has just sneezed, you cant avoid them. I dont know what the outcome would have been if we didnt realise. It doesnt bare thinking about. The youngster hadnt shown any of the more recognisable symptoms of meningitis (Image: MERCURY PRESS) If it had happened at night, that could have been where he really plummeted and thats the really worrying thing. Nothing struck me that he might have had meningitis when we took him to hospital. Thats the scary thing about it. There is going to be a lot of criticism because it doesnt happen to every baby. I didnt have any problems with my other child. She didnt have any problems but it did to Gunner. That risk is always there no matter how harmless it may seem. Ive got a lot of friends who are having babies and I thought this needed more awareness. If one person takes note and doesnt let people kiss their baby than thats all that matters. A friend of mine with four kids told me she was so embarrassed that she didnt know this. You dont realise things can be going on behind the surface. We have immune systems that they dont. I just didnt expect it was something I would have to go
through. You want to show your baby off. Gunner, who is now 15 weeks old, has made a full recovery as the meningitis was caught early (Image: MERCURY PRESS) Read MoreRelated ArticlesGrieving dads heartbreaking letter to family of meningitis victim after nightmare of watching his beautiful daughter slowly slip awa
y A spokesperson from Meningitis Now said: Anyone can get viral meningitis but it is most common in babies and young children. Viral meningitis is not usually life-threatening, but can lead to more complications in young babies. Many different types of viruses can cause viral meningitis. Spread of these viruses is common and they can be passed from person to person by coughing, sneezing and on unwashed hands. Attention to good general hygiene measures, such as h
and washing, will help to stop the spread of some of these viruses. Anyone with a cold sore (herpes simplex virus) should not kiss a young baby as there is a risk of the virus being passed on, which could cause an illness such as viral meningitis in a young baby.